A variety of normally-harmless substances can set off the watering, itchiness, irritation, and redness associated with eye allergies. At Forest Creek Eye Center, we can find the reason for your eye irritation and provide soothing remedies, preventative care, and ongoing symptom management.
What Causes Eye Allergies?
Like other allergies, an eye allergy is a misguided attempt by the body to protect itself against a perceived threat. When the immune system is exposed to such a substance, it releases large amounts of histamine and antibodies to fight back. This unnecessary response typically causes eye redness, itching, watering, light sensitivity, burning sensations, and swollen eyelids. An eye allergy can be set off by a number of triggers. Common eye allergens include:
- Pet dander
- Tobacco smoke
- Industrial pollution or airborne chemicals
- Scented products such as perfumes or air fresheners
- Cosmetics, especially eyeliner and mascara
- Seasonal or year-round exposure to pollens and molds
- Contact lenses that accumulate proteins or other debris
- Contact lens cleaning solutions
Whatever is causing your eye allergy symptoms, you will want to get those symptoms under control.
Treating Ocular Allergies
Our optometrists can get to the bottom of your eye allergies. Your doctor will ask you questions about your environment, contact lens use, and other symptoms you may be experiencing. Once we've eliminated other possible conditions and isolated the allergen in question, we can provide the right treatment to manage or resolve them, including:
- Artificial tears or medicated eye drops
- Antihistamines or steroids
- Recommended changes to your interior or exterior environment
- Changes in your eye makeup products or hygiene
- Switching to a different kind of contact lens or cleaner
Finding relief for your eye allergy symptoms is as easy as visiting Forest Creek Eye Center. Call our office today at 512-341-2020.